Our Board of Directors considers entrusting part of the administrative management of the syndicate to an external manager. In order to reduce the risk of fraud, a criminal history certificate is included in our selection criteria. Also, proof of liability insurance from the manager is verified so that it is sufficient in the event of errors or omissions on his part. Another selection criterion is a manager who is a member of the Ordre des administrateurs agréés (ADMA).
Question: Should directors only appoint a condominium manager with no criminal record and membership in ADMA?
Question: I plan to purchase the exclusive right of enjoyment of a parking space (common portions for restricted use) a few months after purchasing my apartement (parking is sold directly by the developer). Do I have to go to the notary to change my deed of purchase to indicate that parking is associated with my private portion ?
We are concerned about the comings and goings of strangers in our building. This concern is all the more justified by the fact that some of our co-owners rent without right, for short periods, to travelers (Airbnb-type rental).
Question: Can the Board of Directors ask to see a tenant's id in order to certify that he is who he claims to be?
Question: Are the co-owners of a vertical co-ownership considered undivided in the horizontal condominium? And if so, what would be the impact on representativeness at the general meeting of the horizontal condominium (AGM)? For example, could a few co-owners of a vertical condominium act for all the co-owners without having previously held proxies as for the undivided co-owners of a condo during the vertical condominium AGM?
At our last annual co-owner's meeting, the board of directors informed us that it was going to take $10,000 from our contingency fund to set up a self-insurance fund. To justify their decision, the directors said that this will allow to avoid putting up a special assessment. Several co-owners seemed to agree.
Question: Can the board unilaterally decide to use part of the sums accumulated in the contingency fund to set up a self-insurance fund without consulting or obtaining the approval of the co-owners? And if so is this a good way to manage the funds of our co-ownership?
Question: Our co-ownership has 6 apartments. I am on the board of directors, which is made up of three directors. Having been unable to attend a board meeting, I gave a power of attorney to my neighbour. The two members of the Board of Directors denied this person the right to participate in the meeting. Is it legal?
When our Board of directors communicates by email, with all the co-owners, this is done so that we do not see the email addresses of the co-owners. As a result, no one can see the response of others, so we cannot discuss the subject of communication. I find this quite contradictory, since according to our declaration of co-ownership we have to provide our contact information and our email address to the board of directors. In addition, it is indicated that the register contains the email address of all co-owners.
The Board claims privacy justifies this approach to communication.
Question: Am I entitled to require the Board of directors to provide me with the email address of the co-owners?
At our last Annual General Meeting, the Board of Directors presented the estimated budget for the coming year. This budget provided for a substantial increase of the common expenses, as significant work was to be carried out during the year to upgrade the elevator. Many co-owners did not agree with this decision, but the budget was passed anyway! I really had the impression that during this meeting, the will of a majority of co-owners was not taken into consideration.
Question: What is the power of the co-owners meeting with respect to the vote on the budget? Can it vote against an increase in common charges?
Question: During our last general meeting of co-owners, the president of the board of directors suggested to sell a parcel of land located in the backyard of our immovable. According to him, the amount that we could receive would allow to replenish the contingency fund. Can you tell me if that is possible? If this is the case, I would like to know who has the authority to make this decision.